3/2/12

'Weekly' Wrapup

For the last week or so (time flys) I have been working on 3 game projects.

In one of my classes I am helping to design a game (call it Project A) along with the good people at 'Obscure Fish Studios'. I some how or another became the "lead design" on that one, which basically means ... more responsibility for the overall project. I set up a framework for a game design document and have been trying to get everyone to fill it up with different things.  I find that with the right amount of encouragement (I send out bulk text messages to the entire team) people will come through. Since I am not focused exclusively on a single aspect to the game such as Sound or User Interface, the majority of my time goes to making sure all the pieces fit together. Most recently I helped write out the text that will appear on the box cover of the game for presentation.



In another class we are building a different game (call it Project B), and by building I do mean building. I think I am more useful in this class because I have spent a lot of time working on projects on my own, and bring a bit of experience to the table using Unity3d. I honestly really love the game idea that we came up with, and I think it will be very impressive when complete. For Project B I am the build master, basically I get to try and piece together all the assets that everyone creates into a working game.  Things also got a little more complicated for me since I was nominated to be the programing lead also. So far, so good with everything.  I am particularly happy about a piece of code I wrote for a puzzle within the game. It isn't a monumental feat of programming, and it could actually be improved in many ways, but I am always happy when I can come up with solutions to unique coding problems.

Some Blender Models I made for Unity!
Meanwhile I am also working on a project on my own outside of class. It is based on the Ludum Dare July 2002 theme "Guardian". I realize of course that the competition is long over. But I have grown a fondness of Game Jams after I participated in GGJ 2012, and I like the restrictions imposed by developing a game based on a theme. I basically went back in time because there were not any competitions running at the point that I wanted to begin a new project. So far everything is turning out well, but I can't really say for sure when it will be "releasable". The game uses a turn based combat system which is something I have not done before. Also for 3d models I am using Blender which is new to me but I like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment